While you probably know how to build a fire with firewood, you may find it a little challenging to light a coal fire. Here are some tips for lighting a coal fire:
· Always start with a clean fire grate.
· Place two firelighters in the middle of the grate.
· Build a small tower with the kindling around the firelighters and light the firelighters.
· Fill the gaps with more kindling.
· Immediately throw a generous amount of solid fuel into the fire, so it covers the kindling and firelighters.
· Close the door and adjust the air controls to the required level.
· No flames should be drawn up the chimney but the window should appear to be filled with flames.
· DO NOT reduce the air flow to the point where the fire is being hampered.
· And now, the most important bit, pour a cup of tea, sit back in your favourite chair and get cosy.