While you probably know how to build a fire with firewood, you may find it a little challenging to light a coal fire. Here are some tips for lighting a coal fire with eco firelighters:
- Always start with a clean fire grate.
- Place two firelighters in the middle of the grate.
- Build a small tower with kindling around the firelighters and light the firelighters.
- Once the kindling is on fire try to fill the gaps with more kindling.
- Now immediately throw a generous amount of solid fuel into the fire, so it covers the kindling and firelighters.
- After that close the door and adjust the air controls to the required level.
- No flames should be drawn up the chimney but the window should appear to be filled with flames.
- DO NOT reduce the air flow to the point where the fire is being hampered. If needed keep adding more coal to the pile.
- And now, the most important bit, pour a cup of tea, sit back in your favourite chair and get cosy.